Wednesday, August 3, 2011

It's what I do..




People constantly ask me :"What exactly do you do at uni?" As in, what does the study of history actually entail. I'll tell you what, it involves a lot of research which in turn involves plenty of reading. So, I guess the answer to the question: "What do you do?" Is: I spend the majority of my time reading about historical events/people/places. At the moment I am reading the following:

"Inventing the Public Enemy: The Gangster in American Culture" - David Ruth
"Reforming Hollywood Gangsters and Morality from Popularism to Patriotism" - Sheri Biesen
"Freudians, Flapper and All That Jazz" - Sara Evans
"Medieval Popular Religion: 1000-1500" - John Shinners
"Holy Feast and Holy Fast: The Religious Significance of Food to Medieval Women" - Caroline Walker Bynum
"Humanism and Scholasticism in the Italian Renaissance" - Paul Kristeller

It's a pretty interesting mix of readings this week. I'm especially enjoying the article on Medieval women and food. And yes, all of that is for just this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment