Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Let them eat cake!



Look what came in the mail for me yesterday! The Australian Woman's Weekly Children's Birthday Cake book. It's the reprint of the original 80s version that we all grew up on. I love this book, it brings back so many memories for me. When I was growing up, my younger brother, older sister and I choose our birthday cakes exclusively from this book. We always knew our birthday celebration was close when our mother pulled out the ol' AWW book, placed it on the table and told us we could choose which ever one we wanted.

Every year I had a different cake from the "Girls" section of the book and my brother chose one from the "Boys". My sister then chose one from the myriad of other "non-gendered" cakes at the back of the book. Collectively, I think we have tried every single one of the cakes in the book and enjoyed every single one.

It is a book I hope my children will flick through excitedly, painstakingly deliberating over which cake to choose for their birthday. On a greedier note, I hope that my mother will send me her version of this beloved cook book, the one that she purchased the very first year it was published.

P.S. My twenty-fifth birthday will feature a cake from this book, baked by my one and only Fiance. I am very excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment